Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Isn't it Ironic...

The first few weeks of the school year generally consist of me helping support kiddos who are completely overwhelmed and anxious about being away from their parents. I am also busy talking with parents and reassuring them that their child is indeed OK as well as supporting parents with tips and tricks to help the transition into being away from home go a little smoother for them and their child.
So isn't it ironic, that at approximately 2:15 today- my social worker hat came off and I was instantly thrown into the same position as the parents I have been advising this past week?!
I found myself crying in my office as I read an email from Hannah's provider, Jennifer. Jennifer was simply and kindly letting Justin and I know that Hannah has been very emotional and somewhat withdrawn at daycare. It was a lengthy email filled with examples of how Hannah has spontaneously broken down into tears and ways that Jennifer tried to intervene...and it broke my heart. She wanted to know if this was normal behavior for Hannah or if there was something more specifically that she could be doing to make Hannah feel more comfortable. (The answer to that question is no- Jennifer has gone above and beyond already to make Hannah feel comfortable) My mind instantly visioned my poor girl playing in a corner all by herself, crying for her Mama. I wanted nothing more than to leave work and go "save" her.
Jennifer asked if she could call us tonight so that we could brainstorm ideas together on how to help Hannah transition a little easier.
We know that Hannah loves Jennifer's....Hannah tells us she does and every morning she excitedly puts on her backpack and grabs her shoes...so is she just overwhelmed?...is it my girl has a hard time transitioning?!....Is she overtired because she no longer gets a three hour nap?!?.....
The call went well and we have a game plan....however, I feel the inevitable has come.
I, as Hannah's mother, need to stop "babying" her so much.
My little sensitive child needs to toughen up.
(And as Justin reminds me, so does this Mama.)
So here is to hoping that Hannah eases into her new setting a little easier.
(And that this too shall pass.)

No comments: